Headline: Nepalese president wishes Fakhrul a successful tenure   |   Mirza Fakhrul sworn in as 23rd president   |   Cabinet reshuffle to introduce new faces in core positions   |   India says Ganges Water Treaty discussions continue at technical level   |   New president enters Bangabhaban to take oath   |   Hasina Cannot Be the Sum Total of Bangladesh’s India Policy   |   Govt moving towards real life education: Finance minister   |   One killed after motorcycle-private car crash in Vatara   |   Nancy Kissinger, wife of ex-Secretary of State, dies at 92   |   Australia passes law to levy tech giants that fail to pay for local news   |   Govt allocates cars for new ministers   |   President to pay homage at National Mausoleum Saturday   |   India withdraws statement on preparations for Tarique’s possible visit   |   Bodies of Kolkata fire victims to return by Saturday: Govt   |   Drive begins to revive navigability of Old Buriganga   |   President-elect Mirza Fakhrul pays tribute to Ziaur Rahman, Khaleda Zia   |   Work on setting up long-awaited PET-CT lab begins in Ctg   |   Inclusion of Jamaat leaders’ names in mosque honorarium list sparks criticism in Jashore   |   More than 2,500 deaths in DR Congo Ebola outbreak: UN   |   India won’t be safe till its borders are secure: Amit Shah   |   Education system must focus on producing employable students, not certificates: Mahdi Amin   |   Mirza Fakhrul hopes for a prosperous Bangladesh   |   Jamaat ameer congratulates Mirza Fakhrul on election as president   |   Mirza Fakhrul elected 23rd president of Bangladesh   |   CPD recommends 10-year timeline to clear administrative hurdles for solar power   |   PM, Speaker, Opposition Leader cast votes   |   Bashundhara City Development Ltd supports ORWA ‘Heroes of Hope’ blood donation campaign   |   Voting for presidential election ends   |   Over 770 US service members killed or injured since Iran conflict began   |   OpenAI says ads coming to ChatGPT in Europe next week   |  
Bangla sun
20 Augustust 2026, 3:43 pm
Online version

Court dismisses case petition filed against Yunus, 26 others

A Dhaka court on Thursday dismissed a case petition filed against former chief adviser of the interim government Dr Muhammad Yunus, NCP Convener and current opposition party Chief Whip in the national parliament Nahid Islam, and 25 others over the vandalism at Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s historic residence at Dhanmondi-32 in the capital.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Jewel Rana dismissed the case petition under Section 203 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, said State Prosecutor of the Dhaka Metropolitan Chief Magistrate Court Shamsuddoha Sumon.

Earlier in the day, a woman named Tamanna Chowdhury Priyanka filed the lawsuit petition before the court. The court then recorded the complainant’s statement and kept the order pending.

The others who were made accused in the case petition are former advisers Dr Asif Nazrul, Dr Rezwana Hasan, Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury, Mustafa Sarwar Farooki, Asif Mahmud Sajib Bhuiyan, Mahfuz Alam and former press secretary Shafiqul Alam.

Leader of the National Citizen Party and current lawmaker Akhtar Hossain, Md Hasanat Abdullah, Abdul Hannan Masud and Nusrat Tabassum were also made accused, along with other leaders of the party, including Sarjis Alam, Samanta Sharmin, Nasiruddin Patwari, Ariful Islam Adib and Saleh Uddin Sifat.

The other accused are former NCP leader Dr Tasnim Zara, YouTubers Pinaki Bhattacharya, Elias Hossain and Konok Sarwar, Colonel (retd) Nur Nabi, Tahrima Jannat Suravi, Md Milon, Fahim Al Chowdhury, and Abul Kalam Azad.

According to the case petition, on 5 February 2025, at the direct instigation, incitement and overall assistance of the accused, other accused and 3,000 to 5,000 unnamed people formed an unlawful assembly, armed with weapons, and launched a group attack on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s historic residence at Dhanmondi-32.

See also  Acting speaker to administer oath to newly elected president: Chief Whip

The petition claimed that the accused vandalised the building and set fire to it after entering it at around 10pm that night, causing extensive damage to and looting valuable belongings, including historical artefacts, documents, records of the Liberation War, documentaries, books and publications.

The case also alleged that they brought two bulldozers, an excavator, a hammer and heavy machinery and began demolishing the house throughout the night, continuing the demolition until around 5pm the following day and reducing it to rubble.

Several accused allegedly went live on YouTube and Facebook, inciting and supporting the vandalism, arson and looting of important documents and papers kept at the house, while some of them allegedly provided financial assistance.

Despite prior announcements by the accused, those responsible for protecting the house on behalf of the government did not take any initiative to prevent the attack, the case petition alleged.

Facebook Comments Box

Comment

  • Latest
  • Popular

Nepalese president wishes Fakhrul a successful tenure

1

Mirza Fakhrul sworn in as 23rd president

2

Cabinet reshuffle to introduce new faces in core positions

3

India says Ganges Water Treaty discussions continue at technical level

4

New president enters Bangabhaban to take oath

5

Hasina Cannot Be the Sum Total of Bangladesh’s India Policy

6

Govt moving towards real life education: Finance minister

7

One killed after motorcycle-private car crash in Vatara

8

Nancy Kissinger, wife of ex-Secretary of State, dies at 92

9

Australia passes law to levy tech giants that fail to pay for local news

10

Govt allocates cars for new ministers

11

President to pay homage at National Mausoleum Saturday

12

India withdraws statement on preparations for Tarique’s possible visit

13

Bodies of Kolkata fire victims to return by Saturday: Govt

14

Drive begins to revive navigability of Old Buriganga

15

President-elect Mirza Fakhrul pays tribute to Ziaur Rahman, Khaleda Zia

16

Work on setting up long-awaited PET-CT lab begins in Ctg

17

Inclusion of Jamaat leaders’ names in mosque honorarium list sparks criticism in Jashore

18

More than 2,500 deaths in DR Congo Ebola outbreak: UN

19

India won’t be safe till its borders are secure: Amit Shah

20

Design & Developed by: BD IT HOST